What is the Leadership Engagement, Action and Development or LEAD Program?
Leadership Engagement Action and Development or LEAD Program is a community capacity building program that combines leadership training and community action for members of ethno-cultural communities.
The program aims to actively and fully engage ethno-cultural communities in advancing sustainable solutions to issues important to them and to the community by increasing their level of:
- community leadership
- civic engagement and volunteerism
- cross-cultural collaboration
- Conduct participatory training and education to provide information, skills, resources and tools to develop broader leadership roles for ethno-cultural members
- Combine innovative learning and community action to develop and initiate solutions to issues impacting ethno-cultural communities and Canadians
- Strengthen collaboration among ethno-cultural communities, and with local residents, agencies, institutions, business and government
- Enhance integration of ethno-cultural members through increased civic participation
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION & ACTIVITIES:
Ethno-cultural members and groups participate in interactive workshops that combine learning, reflection and action.
Mentorship, Coaching and Support
In between workshop sessions, ethno-cultural members, groups and organizations receive mentorship, coaching and support based on their needs .
Ethno-cultural members experience hands-on learning by observing and participating.
Dialogue with Government
Ethno-cultural communities participate in dialogue with leaders in government and institutions on issues, policies and programs that impact them.
Ethno-cultural members exercise their leadership roles in community forums, projects, advisory committees, organizational initiatives, and events.
Cross-Cultural Leadership Forums
Ethno-cultural leaders and members come together to:
- Provide community input, recommendations and feedback about how policies, programs and services affect ethno-cultural members
- Conduct dialogue around common issues and initiatives
- Discuss and implement ways of developing collaborative working relationships
River of Leadership, River of Life
Self-reflection and presentation of life and leadership stories using creative approaches
Core Competencies for Community Leadership
Understanding and combining competencies, including Framing Ideas, Building Social Capital and Mobilizing Resources
Community Action Planning
Engaging communities in planning and action
Communication and Community Presentations
Learning about and experiencing effective community presentations in different ways to different types of audience
Civic Participation and Social Mobilization
Sharing and using the tools of community engagement
Working with Government
Understanding how government works and experiencing dialogue with government leaders and public servants
Learning and applying skills in working with radio, TV, print and other media
|Funding provided by:||and|