LEAD (Leadership Engagement, Action and Development)
- Combines innovative leadership training and community action through civic participation
- Promotes cross-cultural collaboration among ethno-cultural leaders around common issues
- Themes include Pathways to Leadership, Community Presentations, Communication, Community Action Planning, Public Policy Analysis, Working with Government
BBEC (Building Bridges with Ethno-cultural Communities)
- Provides information, toolkits and resources to ethno-cultural communities relevant to services and resources available for newcomers
- Promotes collaboration between ethno-cultural communities, service providers and resources
- Conducts training, field trips, community resource fairs and community forums
Sustaining e-CARD (Ethnocultural Community Action on Racial Discrimination)
- Raises awareness and promotes community action to address racial discrimination
- Informs and engages ethno-cultural communities to respond to issues
- Collects stories, conducts field trips, community forums and focus groups
- Organizes, trains and develops toolkits for community action teams
CEEC (Connecting Elders from Ethno-Cultural Communities)
- Trains Elder Brokers to connect immigrant seniors with resources and services to increase accessibility of mainstream services through a reduction of cultural barriers.
SHARE (Sustaining Healthy & Awesome Relationships)
- Prevention initiative that seeks to promote alternative strategies to address the systemic, structural and root causes of domestic violence through collaboration.
Aim High (Research, Policy & Education)
- Conducts research and policy work in collaboration with community and stakeholders to study how ECCC priority issues are affecting ethno-cultural communities.
- Educates ECCC members about how policy decisions are made and engages them meaningfully in policy discussions, consultations and debate.
- Youth-to-youth mentorship
- Young leaders participate in policy dialogues and issue analysis
PARTICIPATORY ACTION RESEARCH
- This action research project focuses on the strengths and needs of the community.
- Informs the development of concrete action plans so that the Somali community feels a sense of belonging and is empowered to participate fully and equally in Calgary.
Every Vote Counts
- Identifies factors that make immigrants vote or not vote
- Conducts Town Hall meetings and Community Forums to increase immigrant voter awareness and participation
Community Forums and Dialogues with Government
- Conducts community dialogues with public servants and elected representatives in various levels of government
Conversations Focusing on Creating More Welcoming Communities and Workplaces
- Conversations and community dialogues with employers, businesses and citizens
Ethnic Media Bureau
- Ethnic media collaborating with communities to raise public awareness of issues impacting ethno-cultural communities